Thursday, October 19, 2006

Quite Time

My little bees seem to have an inner radar that detects when the other is awake. They can be sound asleep and then..."RING, RING, RING" the radar that is hidden somewhere on their little bodies from parental eyes, goes off and they feel the need to be up too. Its like they are afraid they are going to miss out on something.

We actually had to separate them, giving each their own bedroom. Because if their radar by some rare chance malfunctions, the awake child then feels a compelling magnetic urge to wake the slumbering one up. This was a much easier task when they shared rooms because they could walk right up to the sleeping one and touch them, prod them, or throw things on them. Now they just have to walk up and down the hall hollering in a futile attempt to rouse them.

It is rare, but I love the few times when the radar and magnetic urge are both malfunctioning and I get the opportunity to spend quite time with one of them. It is one of the few times I get to hug, kiss, and praise my little individual without any interruptions. I get to look at them and appreciate them for their unique personalities. I get to see the progress that each day brings to their little minds and bodies. These rare minutes often feel stolen but nonetheless do not cheapen their value.

These are the times when I remember that I am not simply a mom to messy, whining, frustrating little ones but the mother to two real people...little people, but real people.

No comments: