Monday, August 28, 2006

Is THREE easier than TWO?

Busy bee came home Saturday night! We were so excited to have him home (and of course for Grandma Queen to visit, too.) I was glad to see that except for longer hair on his head and a few new teeth he looked remarkably the same as when we had left him. He was very loving to us and didn't choose to give us a hard time for leaving him. However, he does still run to Grandma if he gets hurt or upset or if we tell him something he doesn't want to hear. But who could blame the kid...he has been with her the past FIVE weeks.

Determined to have a fun afternoon in the unusually warm and sunny weather we were experiencing yesterday, I took Grandma, Busy bee, Baby bee and myself to our local waterfront for the "Sand in the City" festival. It was a very neat event filled with sand sculptures, live music, bubbles, aquatic touch tanks, and many different kid craft tents. Baby bee obligingly slept most of the time we were there allowing me to give Busy bee some much needed attention. He especially loved the bubbles. I think he was quite possibly covered in the bubble solution until his bath this morning!!

While we were at one of the toddler activity tents, I overheard two moms "catch up" on their lives. It was the usual mom-lingo...

Mom 1: "Oh my gosh Mom 2! How are you?"

Mom 2: "Mom 1, it's great to see you! I am doing just great. How about you? How are the kids?"

Mom 1: "I am good. The kids are great. Sally just started kindergarten. Ellen turns three next month. Enough about me. How is the baby? The last time I saw you you were still pregnant."

Mom 2: "Sesh, has it been that long? Seth is great. He is two months old now and I think he might quite possibly be the smartest two month old out there!"

Mom 1: "He looks just like his daddy."

(You might ask why I am re-telling this conversation...just hold on. I am getting to my point.)

Mom 1: "How are you handling three children?"

Mom 2: "Oh, it couldn't be easier. It was much harder to go from one to two than to go from two to three."

This conversation made me stop dead in my "peeping" tracks. Is THREE easier than TWO?? Have I already done all the hard work adjusting from one to two?? Have I learned everything I need to know about multi-tasking and parenting...or did Mom 2 simply mean the new addition in their family wasn't as jarring to their family dynamics as child #2 had been?!?

Can any parents of 2+ children fill me...is THREE the new TWO?

No comments: